Leveling and Aligning Arches with .016 x .022 Nitinol Archwires*
*At this point in the wire series, it is a good idea to take a pano to check root positioning. If any repositioning needs to occur, this is the optimal wire to use for bracket repositioning.
- Continues the leveling process
- Continues to flatten out the curve of Spee
- Obtains arch symmetry
Instruments & Materials Needed (Prior to Start of Class):
- Distal End Cutter
- Heavy Duty Wire Cutter
- Mathieu Plier—Hook Tip or Wide Tip
- Weingardt Plier
- .016 x .022 Nitinol Archwires
This step in the wire series can be skipped if the patient is in an .020 Stainless Steel with curves and/or bends that have been placed in that stainless steel wire. If these curves and/or bends need to be duplicated in the next wire, proceed to the .016 x .022 Stainless Steel archwire, if possible.
- A nitinol wire is extremely flexible and can be used after rebracketing.
- Tie the wire in as usual using glide-ties or metal ligatures.
- Completed typodont.